Hello Andrew,

Here's a App Engine Groups discussion that is very similar to your question
(I posted a detailed and cited comment in the replies):
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/google-appengine/5KRMpQ-9UQc

The short version is, what you're seeing is intended behavior. The idle
(also called resident) instance is there to buffer incoming requests; the
dynamic instance is launched and run to handle standard traffic.

-Vinny P
Technology & Media Advisor
Chicago, IL

My Go side project: http://invalidmail.com/