I saw the new blog post here promoting Go for "high performance" apps on
App Engine
http://blog.golang.org/go-and-google-cloud-platform

I remember reading about Go with considerable interest when it was
announced.  The controversial and particularly unique elements of Go's
design were justified with the explanation that Go was designed for
building massive systems.  In particular a number of design concessions
were made such that massive code base could be built quickly.

I don't mean to put Go down - I wasn't building massive systems so I didn't
pursue the language and know nothing of it beyond its high level design
justification.  For all I know it is a great language.

My point in making this post is that I hope Google will, with time, also
support C-based languages for web serving on GAE, rather than requiring the
vast number of us who already know them so well to learn a new language
that was designed for such a different purpose.

I will add that I'm currently using GAE/J to back an Android app, and the
ability to share code between client and server is terrific, so I think
there is a lot of value in adding new GAE runtimes that correspond to
client technologies.