What are you spending money on? Instance hours? Datastore ops?

If it's instance hours, try setting Idle Instances to "Automatic - 1" (that
is, max idle instances 1). If it's datastore ops, use appstats to figure
out why you are using so many and cut those down. The usual culprits are
skip or count operations.

Jeff