I have a couple of apps on GAEJ-HRD. One app, let's call it the "client"
runs a cron task every 5 minutes.
That task performs URL fetches to another app of mine, let's call it the
"server".

Starting at 2013-07-05 20:15:34 MDT, 100% of the URL fetches failed. My
re-try loops failed each time, ultimately giving
the exception: IOException: Could not fetch URL.

Note that there was no sign of any connection attempt in the server's logs.

I also caught an exception that was using the Twilio API:
java.lang.RuntimeException: java.io.IOException: Error flushing content in
Google App Engine fetch
at com.twilio.sdk.TwilioRestClient.request(TwilioRestClient.java:431)

These errors persisted until 2013-07-05 22:34:30 MDT.

Any ideas on what causes such nonsense?
David