John,
    I received an email from Google a day later (which was a pleasant
surprise) and they explained that they noticed a spike in rejected emails
from this app. As I mentioned earlier, we send emails through a third party
service. But then I realized that there is just one email that I send
through GAE, and this email is to myself whenever an unexpected error
happens in the app. It allows me to catch critical errors quickly. And as
it happened, we had a production issue a couple of days earlier that caused
a flood of errors, and therefore a flood of emails to me, and GAE
interpreted that as spam. It seems that they go by the number of emails,
rather than the number of recipients.

    The part that I don't understand is why they mentioned "rejected
emails". I received all the emails, so I don't understand what they meant
by "rejected". But, anyway, the misunderstanding seems to have been
resolved and everything is back to normal.

Waleed