I have a cron task that is run every 5 minutes. From this chart of
requests/sec over the past 3 hours you can see
that it has failed to run several times. The problem is particularly
heinous within the past hour.

<https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Q0Pf2gpqwqk/UfA4haeMqDI/AAAAAAAAC8E/CqN0lG_M64k/s1600/cron1.png>

Beginning at about (-1hr) there are several missing executions in a row.

The logs show nothing at the expected execution times. There are no errors.
When the task does run, it runs fine.

What the heck?

Does anyone know of a "Dead Man Switch" service that I can subscribe to?
One that will notify me when the task fails to run for some Delta T?
(A service not running on AppEngine :)

David