Thanks Vinny,

That's a great tip to analyse the success rate, but I was more after "what
error is thrown if the memcached service was down", so I can catch the
problem and recover. In an other thread I was told PHP environment is on
HRD and I don't have to worry about the availability.

Reading this mailing list, I have come across way-too-many issues with
services falling apart, so much so I am not confident that they will be
running 99.95% (SLA agreement) of the time. I may be just paranoid or maybe
looking for a more reliable service.

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 3:38 PM, Vinny P <vinny...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 7:38 PM, Jeffery Fernandez <
> jefferyfernan...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have implemented memcached for my project as well, but different
>> environment (php). Though I can't find the capabilities API for php. Do I
>> just catch the exceptions (what?) and not worry about checking if the
>> memcached service is available?
>>

>  The Capabilities API for PHP isn't implemented yet, at least to my
> knowledge.
>
>  What you can do is periodically track the time it takes memcache to
> return and its success rate, and automatically stop using memcache if those
> numbers become unacceptable (and return to using it once those numbers
> return to acceptable levels).

> -Vinny P
> Technology & Media Advisor
> Chicago, IL