On Friday, July 26, 2013 10:12:19 AM UTC-5, Jeff Schnitzer wrote:

> I just wanted to check how this is intended to be solved (using Java):
>
> I want to configure F1 for most of the URLs in my app, but F2 or F4 for a
> couple URLs that require large amounts of memory (batch processes run from
> cron). I really don't want separate codebases - it's pretty much all the
> same code. What's the best way to do this? Presumably the answer is
> 'modules', but how do I structure this?
>
> Does the <lib> in application.xml work? Should I put all my code in a jar
> in application.xml's <lib> and then have war modules that are basically
> just the web.xml/appengine-web.xml? I can probably get away with this since
> all the user-facing content (ie, the templates, css, javascript, etc) is
> associated with only one module. However, this seems pretty wonky if I ever
> wanted to have some public URLs available on a different instance size.
>
> Am I supposed to just duplicate my whole war (with changes in
> appengine-web.xml) in my build process?

+1.

It's a little bit redundant to duplicate war directories. If Google is
still taking feature requests for Modules, I'd like to see a simpler way of
setting the configuration for this type of use case (perhaps we could keep
backends.xml and App Engine could internally translate it into the
appropriate Modules equivalent?)

-Vinny P
Technology & Media Advisor
Chicago, IL