We have an appengine application that exposes a set of web service
endpoints.
We need to secure these endpoints such that only specific applications can
access them. This will be programmatic access, so there will be no user
involvement (i.e. no login screens).

Looking at the documentation it seemed like service accounts would give us
this ability, however this only seems to give access to the google API.

Is there a standard way to secure appengine web services, or do we need to
roll our own solution?

Any pointers much appreciated!