I wonder how Search API's geo search works
My previous understanding was: It fetched ~1000 results into internal
memory, and sorted that batch according to geo query, however the link you
sent lead me to believe that it is actually indexing/querying for
geo-location (so I thought the purpose of geo point was to refine the
result only)

I wonder how costly the indexing is, I'm utilizing geopoint in search,
however not using it currently, geo hashes are actually easier to utilize,
imo