I decided to try out the new Cloud Console and associate my API project
with my GAE/J project - both already existed.

After fooling around a bit but not succeeding, I click on the 'cloud
integration' option in my GAE application settings - not surprisingly this
associated my GAE project with a brand new API project.  I can delete that
newly created project, but it just creates another and now things are
starting to get weird so I better stop.

Any suggestions?  Thanks.