There's one feature mentioned in the pre-release that unfortunately didn't
make it to the final version. From the pre-release notes:

- The max_concurrent_requests setting is now configurable per
version/engine.
http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=7927

Could that mean that someone is finally working on a scheduler overhaul and
that some day we will wake up in a world where warm and cold instances can
peacefully live together? Sorry, got carried away...

But wouldn't it be nice if we could set a lower and upper bound for
max_concurrent_requests
where new instances would be started as soon as all instances exceeded
their lower bound and no request would be routed to a cold instance as long
as there's one instance left which hasn't reached it's upper bound?
Wouldn't that solve the cold start problem?