FWIW... I'd like to add my voice in support of a high priority for this
capability.  Now that we have SSL... improved domain management is at the
top of my wish list.  On the email front... I use Mailgun with App Engine
precisely because I need more flexibility than GAE's native email provides.
 On the receiving end Mailgun can forward to an HTTP POST handler in your
GAE app similar to the native GAE email.  I'm not sure if Sendgrid has the
same HTTP POST capability for incoming mail.