I agree with your comments about using both IAAS and PAAS.  Our application
does a lot of back-end processing using AWS clusters that we can spin
up/down on demand for our more intensive batch-oriented analytic updates
which happen once a week.  Our user interface runs on GAE written in Java
w/ GWT.    Love the near-zero-admin of GAE and auto-scaling, etc for the
front-end app and real-time meter data analytics that we do.  But for the
bulk stuff Google doesn't offer anything that matches the flexibilty of AWS
with services like EMR and the ability to spin up VM's to run apps like R,
etc.  One size does not fit all requirements.