I'm having a hard time finding a definitive answer to this question:

Within my appengine app, can the use of oauth.get_current_user() ever
return a user object if using Google's oauth2 end points as the
authentication method?

The get_current_user() call works fine and returns the User object when
expected if I use my app's end points to get oauth tokens
(myappid.appspot.com/_ah/OAuth*).  But this is using OAuth 1.0, which the
Google dev docs are clear to point out is deprecated.

So then I tried to use the OAuth2 end points and I've registered the app,
got my client_id, etc.  I've authorized my command line app to access the
scope https://www.googleapis.com/auth/appengine.admin and I've sent the
request to my app, but the oauth.get_current_user() call always throws an
oauth.OAuthRequestError

So the question is, am I doing something wrong with OAuth2 (wrong scope,
etc.) or is the only way the get_current_user() method works is via OAuth1
to your app's end points?

Help appreciated.