I'm running a Zend Project on GAE (PHP 5.4). On my development environment,
everything works fine. When I deploy the app, however, I get 500 errors on
form posts. If I refresh the page, the data gets posted, even though the
form validation fails. In both cases, the request only takes a couple of
seconds to return (leading me to believe that *this is not a timeout issue*
).

I've had this happen consistently, but the 500 has only been logged once:

Logging Severity: Warning
A problem was encountered with the process that handled this request,
causing it to exit. This is likely to cause a new process to be usedfor the
next request to your application. (Error code 204)

Here's the response header from one of the times I got the error:

HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error
status: 500 Internal Server Error
version: HTTP/1.1
alternate-protocol: 443:quic