Yes, I want to store the rule data in configuration.php and then on
> initialization instead of the hardcoded rules I'm testing with, the rules
> can be dynamically generated and registered with the wrapper.
>

> The only problem I have with that is Joomla won't save arrays of data by
> default in configuration.php - so it means either a plugin to save the data
> as an array, or limiting it to X number of rules....

Indeed configuration.php might be the right place for it. A custom field
type could be useful, something that serializes a set rules to json.
I think I even have something in place. Let me know and I'll send it over
to your repo.

<https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-ISEC0eNAXMI/UsfxP9jphLI/AAAAAAAAAHg/E_LKne18gDg/s1600/test.png>
The json format could be like:

{
  "URL_ENCODED_LOCAL": "URL_ENCODED_GS",

}

The question mark is whether the gs folders should be only checked or also
created (api needs to be used) upon saving.

> I'm mainly trying to balance my tendency to add in lots and lots of
> options with keeping things simple so I can get to a release/usable
> point....  I mean, why spend weeks adding a bunch of options I don't need
> if only 2 people are using it?  There doesn't seem to be a lot of interest
> in deploying Joomla to GAE - it's fun for me and it's a good brain teaser
> to force my mind into a coding gear.

I completely agree here. I think more people will get involved once it's
fully functional, officially mentioned on the Joomla site and maybe posted
on some good blog like http://sitepoint.com
Many developers probably don't consider GAE yet as PHP support in GAE is
still experimental and there still seem to be many bugs around.
My gut feeling is that devs will be using it for really heavy workloads
since It really has a big potential as PaaS.

I've been testing Joomla on Azure recently and would be extremely convinced
to stick on it if not the fact MySQL is provided by a 3rd party company
with scaling limitations and very harsh limits on free tier for testing (20
MB database !?), bigger options get very expensive. I'm also not really
convinced by Windows environment though it's PaaS and I shouldn't care what
it is running on.