> Aside from just having the [module name].yaml file in the directory with
my default app.yaml file, do I need to do anything else to get the
dev_server to recognize the additional module?

Make sure you supply all *.yaml files to dev_appserver in cmdline args,
e.g.:

dev_appserver.py app.yaml module1.yaml module2.yaml dispatch.yaml

Execute dev_appserver.py -h for more details.