On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 5:22 PM, Gary Mort <garyam...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If an application is configured with multiple modules, for example I want
> to have the option to seperate out the "admin" part of the website from the
> "front end" and configure them as seperate modules - if both "modules" are
> used at the same time will they use two seperate instances even at low
> load, or is the decision to start multiple instances based on load?
>
> For example, there are a couple of "front end" ajax functions that, when a
> super admin is logged on, will poll the "admin" part of the website for
> some statistical data.  When testing, the load will be low so without
> modules it would be a single instance.  With modules is it forced to run as
> two instances?

Unique modules/versions use different instances. Modules can specify
different sizes of instances (F1 vs. F4), frontend or backend instances (F1
vs B1), so they need their own instances allocated to them.

If you're concerned about high instance usage under low load, you can
configure the admin module as a basic scaling instance with a low
*idle_timeout* parameter so the instance shuts down quickly when not in
use:
https://developers.google.com/appengine/docs/python/modules/#Python_Instance_scaling_and_class