On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 4:54 PM, Kevin Regan <krega...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This has raised some confusion about how this all works... there seems to
> be the concept of "projects" and there seems to be some text in google
> documentation saying that you can create applications under projects... but
> from my experience a project is synonymous with application.  It seems
> creating an application is the same as creating a project.

A Google Cloud Platform project encompasses all the Google Cloud services:
App Engine, Cloud Storage, Compute Engine, etc. While you are correct in
saying that creating an application also creates a project, it's mostly a
way of simplifying management of all the various services. As an example, a
few months ago App Engine applications weren't automatically integrated
into their Cloud Platform projects.

On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 4:54 PM, Kevin Regan <krega...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Furthermore. enabling cloud storage for a project (or an application)
> appears to be specific to that project - other "projects" cannot see the
> buckets within it.

No, not at all. Other projects can write and read to other project Cloud
Storage buckets as long as you've listed the correct permissions for the
bucket in question. All you need to do is insert the Google service account
name in the bucket permissions. You can also access Cloud Storage buckets
from other Google services (for instance, Compute Engine) or from external
machines - see the SDK for your preferred language.

On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 4:54 PM, Kevin Regan <krega...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ultimately, I need two separate applications that can see the same storage
> structure for dev/QA purposes.

You can do that by deploying the applications as separate versions within
the same application ID. You can define different versions within the
app.yaml file.
https://developers.google.com/appengine/docs/python/config/appconfig#Python_app_yaml_About_app_yaml

On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 4:54 PM, Kevin Regan <krega...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is exacerbated by the fact that apparently bucket names are globally
> unique - so even if I had a separate project/application, I could not have
> the same bucket structure for it.

Bucket names are unique, but not the structure internal to the bucket. In
any case, multiple application versions or entirely different applications
can share Cloud Storage buckets, so this shouldn't be an issue.