I guess this was a management decision.

Many more people were asking for more languages support like php. The
problem is that even java and python aren't mature enough. So now we have a
lot of immature platforms and the nanny is pretty busy taking care of all
those babies.

The normal startup way would be to consolidate one language and then
expand. The hope is that google use its super human powers and fix this.