Because by definition, resident instances don't serve any traffic.  That
means you are eating up 24 instance hours of idle time each day, leaving
you only four hours each day to serve traffic.

I had this exact problem while my app was in development, and I couldn't
figure out why Java developers weren't screaming bloody murder about it.
 Then I did three things:

1) I gave up on trying to configure residency and latency, and just left
everything at the default values
2) I rewrote the app away from JDO and started using Objectify
2) I optimized my app to use fewer API calls and less CPU

When I did those two things, the problems I was seeing with the scheduler
magically disappeared.  I believe that the scheduler was behaving the way
it did because it was reacting to the CPU, memory usage, and API call
pattern of my app - that is, it assumed that due the combination of those
metrics, my app's single instance was incapable of handling any more
traffic and kept trying to spin up more instances.  Before I was using
Objectify this spin-up cost was prohibitive; after Objectify it was still
noticeable, but manageable.  Then after I was done with my optimizations
the spin-up attempts stopped.  I'm now below the free quota for instance
hours every day, and only end up paying anything for read ops (which I'm
fine with because I know where all those ops are going, and they're all
necessary for my traffic levels).

- Kris

Well if you want to use a resident instance, then by definition you pretty