OK, to follow up: I removed the SSL billing and enabled it again. Then the
error was gone. However, now a different problem occurs in that I can't get
my RapidSSL certificate working.

I've included the issued certificate + all of the intermediate certificates
in the chain. When the certificate is shown in Google Apps it shows a
strange OU attribute which is not in the certificate as far as I can tell.
The Google Apps console doesn't show me the info I need to verify the
certificate is imported correctly. Does anybody else use RapidSSL certs?