Thanks for getting back to me Vinny.  This has been occurring for at least a
couple of weeks and likely longer since I wan't trying to use this area of the
admin console previously.  I also realized that I can browse my indexes in a
limited way though paging forward a few times often causes the described error
to appear.  Any attempt to search using even a one-word query string containing
only the characters a-z fails with the described error though.

I've iterated all of our users and searched for each by first + last name and
found that all but 3 query properly.  Of those three one is an internal user
which we explicitly don't index and the other two simply have initials for
their first and last names so a single letter for each which, I assume, the
text search engine doesn't index.  No errors were received and all operations
completed promptly.

BTW, I realized I probably should have created a post on stack overflow which I
did here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/22797685/a-server-error-has-occurred-on-text-search-in-admin-console

Best,

Jamey