This isn't a widespread problem.

I have a low traffic (billing enabled) with the following settings

1 resident, typically 1  or 2 dynamic instances all the time

Idle Instances: ( 1 – 2 )
Pending Latency: ( 900ms – 4.6s )

The dynamic instance age 1 day, 15 hours at the moment.

The only time I see instance startup  messges "This request caused a new
process to be started "
is when I get hit by some really bad behaved SEO bot. That walks the entire
site in the space of a minute or twp.
In fact this is the only time I have seen a DEE in about 2 months.

This is all python.

You may be stuck in a a bit of appengine infrastructure with poorly
performing scheduler.
It might be worth logging a fault.