On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 1:44 PM, Salar Rahmanian <sa...@softinio.com> wrote:

> Can I just buy any SSL Certificate I want on the market and install them
> or set them up as SNI ? Or only certain Certificates are SNI?
> Of course the reason I am looking at this is to have SSL on a custom
> domain for free.
> I have looked at this:
> https://developers.google.com/appengine/docs/ssl#server_name_indication_sni
> But confused in particular about the type of certificate I have to buy to
> use with app engine.
> Your help and guidance appreciated.

You just need to buy any SSL certificate, which is available through many
companies<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/google-appengine/Oal-y8ZXxM4/LTGsl4d-0BwJ>.
Try looking to see if your domain registrar offers SSL certs.

The difference between
SNI<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Name_Indication>and VIP is a
bit technical, but the short version is that some older OSes
and browsers don't support SNI SSL (for instance, Android 2.x series
machines). VIP is slightly more expensive to provide, but has more
widespread support. Pick the SSL type that fits in with your target
audience.