Hello,

On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 6:36 PM, SMF <sarfaraz.faroo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi there
>
> I have a few basic questions
>
> 1. If I have 1000+  Namespaces, how will they get displayed in the App
> Engine Admin Console (Datastore Viewer),
> Right now I have few and they are displayed in a dropdown box.

We have lots of namespaces 2000+.  Currently, in the appengine admin
console, the namespace is selected by a suggestbox style (auto complete).
If there are fewer namespaces, it is displayed in a dropdown.

> 2. I have a Multi-Tenant app where each tenant has its own namespace. the
> model and entities related to the tenant is within their respective
> namespace except for the User entities each tenant can have multiple users.
> thats why all users are stored without any namespace.
>
> The user's  UserId ,name and TenantId (also used as namespace) is stored
> in the Users Model
>
> After user log's in through Google , We Query this Model to Find the
> Namespace of the logged in User, Once found we set it and use it for
> reading / storing entities in their respective  namespace.
>
> My Question is What could go wrong with this approach ?, and do we have
> any better solution for handling Multiple Tenants with Multiple User
> Accounts.
> We need to do this without using Sub Domain Names and URL Paths
> (Containing the namespace id or key)

We do similar things.  For every user/company, we create a namespace name
and store in a separate model in the empty namespace.  Every time, the
request comes, we check the logged in user, and then get the namespace from
the model and set the namespace.
We use GWT and Objectify.  Every rpc, we check who logged in and set the
namespace using the NamespaceManger. We have issues dealing with the
Objectify keys while doing the rpc's using this namespace approach.  We got
workaround those, and going on.  We modified the objectify jar and moving
on.
You can star the issue, if you are using GWT.
https://code.google.com/p/objectify-appengine/issues/detail?id=116&can=1&q=namespace

> 3. We also need to have (CRON) Jobs which will run at a minimum of 3 times
> a day to Query Some Entities and Update Some and Send the Report to the
> Tenants users. In this case we would have to Query the meta data to get
> list of namespaces, and then for each namespace query the desired entities.
> This would increase the cpu and memory consumption, is there any better
> way to run CRON on multiple namespaces.

We do this way also sometimes and works for small tasks.  If you are doing
large processing within each namespace, then the 10 min task time out can
happen.  We have faced this while processing large data with in the
namespace, so we did workarounds like use backends to run the task.