Forgot to mention:

You can also issue a HEAD request against the file. Head requests return
only the headers so you won't get the file contents, but you will get a
*Content-Length* header with the size of the file. Then you can issue a
standard GET request to actually download the file.

-Vinny P
Technology & Media Advisor
Chicago, IL

App Engine Code Samples: http://www.learntogoogleit.com