You need to go through Apps BUT you don't need to go through Apps
separately for each domain.  AFAIK you only need to have a separate Google
Apps account for each domain *if* you need to map the naked domain of each.
 Otherwise create a single Apps account and at admin.google.com:

1. More Controls -> Domains:
        Add each domain as an alias domain

2. More Controls -> App Engine Apps:
        Add each GAE app (click the "Add Services" button in the upper
right-ish of the page)
        For each GAE App... "Add new URL" map your domain's urls to the
appropriate GAE app (ie. http://www.example.com -> myapp-name)

3. More Controls -> Security -> show more -> SSL for Custom Domains:
        Upload your SSL certificates, if any
        For each certification "Assign URLs" that were previously setup in
step 2

That's pretty much it... I've done this with 6 alias domains + the primary
domain (all SSL)

*I wish* there was a way to redirect the naked domains of the 6 alias
domains but I haven't found a way to do it yet.  I believe a little help
from Google is required on that one... but I could be missing something!