Hi we have an issue where the backup task keeps firing and never stops,
until we purge the queue.

This is the task in question:
appengine-mrcontrol-157713723607233BF95B3-15045
↓
2014/08/20 05:21:21
0:00:00 ago2014/08/20 05:21:19
0:00:03 agoPOST /_ah/mapreduce/controller_callback/157713723607233BF95B31666
bytes

We have been using it for about a year without issues and now suddenly it
is doing this.

Any ideas what could be causing this.
It is cron fired backup task (normal, NONmanaged) fired by cron every
night. Usually runs for an hour , but these two days it never stopped