On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 5:43 PM, kj <keit...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would like to actually download a backup of the SQL database on a
> regular basis. I can manually export it to cloud storage and then download
> it - is there any way to automate that? Or, alternatively, is there any way
> to download one of the automatic backups that are already occurring on a
> regular basis?

Obviously, it's easier to let Google automatically handle backups of Cloud
SQL <https://cloud.google.com/sql/docs/backup-recovery#schedulebackups> -
you don't need to handle it yourself. But if you absolutely must have a way
to export and save backups of Cloud SQL programmatically, you can use the
REST API. In particular, you want to use the Admin API's Export endpoint:
https://cloud.google.com/sql/docs/admin-api/v1beta1/instances/export .

A word of caution: export operations do not happen immediately, they may
take some time to execute and save to the GCS bucket. Don't expect the dump
file to be available until some time has passed.