Actually I just migrated my statistics job from MapReduce to BigQuery
(using the Datastore -> Cloud Storage -> BigQuery pattern) =)

I strongly recommend the book "Google BigQuery Analytics" from Jordan
Tigani and Siddartha Naidu if you plan to use or know more about BigQuery.
I got mine at I/O this year (the last book in the box) =)

BigQuery is awesome but have its quirks - the append-only tables is just
one of them. You have to shape your business logic to handle that before
starting to heavily use it.

If you don't need statistics, you probably don't need BigQuery.

The sad part is that I spent more than 2 months tweaking and improving my
whole pipeline stack trying to get a better performance (or
cost-effectiveness), when I could just be using BigQuery to solve my
problems. Anyway, it was a good lesson.