On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 5:00 AM, Kaan Soral <kaanso...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I see 30-40 failed defer tasks at production (out of a burst operation
> that spanned 100.000's of tasks)
> They fail with: "X-Appengine-Taskretrycount:1,
> X-Appengine-Taskretryreason:Instance Unavailable"
> The exception is a PermanentTaskFailure from run_from_datastore
>
> Does this mean that the tasks actually executed before, but faultily
> re-triggered, and threw PermanentTaskFailure's because the previous
> execution deleted the _DeferredTaskEntity entity?
> (I'm trying to pinpoint the cause and the trigger so it doesn't happen
> again, since these exceptions all happened once and have a low count, I'm
> guessing this is a very edge behaviour)

When the 30 - 40 tasks failed, did they all fail at nearly the same time
(within the same few seconds) or fail in groups within the burst operation?
If so, I'd agree that this is probably very edge behavior.  But before
that, I would see if any of the tasks shared similar properties: for
instance, were they unusually large or did they have significantly more
complex serializations.

There have been posts in the past (both here and SO) with similar issues
but no definitive answers - the most popular fix seems to be slowing down
the addition/execution of tasks.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/CALSvALAXtA0KhqkaMn8Mg_2wT4rb58NirJyVqq%2BRABsjx7Umfg%40mail.gmail.com.