The images are pre-processed with https://github.com/aheckmann/gm combining
different components, As a short term solid solution, I managed to get the
same quality by pre-resizing important image components and using JPG's
with 90% quality
As a result the images look very similar, yet the size reduced 60%+
compared to full quality png's, 80% reduces the size a lot more, yet the
quality is distinctively reduced (the main gain is from reducing the
resolution to a minimally acceptable state)

I'm 90% satisfied with this solution, I will look imageoptim/other
sampling/compression methods, it's a great idea, thanks

As it is, the daily usage dropped well below 100gb's

I'm meaning to try CF, but it's a lot like a blackbox, if they block the
sources that requests the images, the damage would be more than the gain, I
guess configuring the policy settings to be very permissive could prevent
that from happening, I also couldn't find the time yet to figure out how to
configure CF to only proxy the images, I will likely use the existing
custom domain, which isn't used anymore, so the risk is low on that front

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/51fd331b-28c9-440f-8278-762c576b94cd%40googlegroups.com.