Thanks Jesse, I tuned my code and we will see how it goes. There seems to be an
issue with some customers who keep failing to communicate over a channel and
keep asking for a new channel. Other customers are fine. I still need to get to
the bottom of this. Is the channel communication over ports that could be
blocked by a firewall?

I think the other issue here is that we need alerts when quotas reach certain
thresholds because I completely missed this. The Dashboard does not show this
particular quota which made things worse. Any recommendations on this would be
appreciated.

Best,

> On May 6, 2015, at 9:48 AM, Jesse Scherer (Google Cloud Support)
> <jsche...@google.com> wrote:
>
> Hi PK,
>
> The "Channel API Hours Used" quota has to with the TTL (time to live) of the
> channels you are opening. In Python, this is the "duration_minutes" variable,
> and it defaults to two hours:
> https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/python/channel/functions.
>
> Note that enabling billing for your app increases the limit 15X to 180
> channel hours per minute. This would mean that every minute, you could open
> one channel with a TTL of 180 hours, ten channels with a TTL of 18 hours,
> 1800 channels with 6 minute TTLs, and so on.
>
> Beyond making sure that billing is enabled for your app, the best advice is
> to check that the TTL you are using makes sense. Again, this quota cares
> about how long of a TTL you ask for when you create the channel, not how long
> the channels eventually last. So, if in production you notice that channels
> only last a few minutes, lowering your TTL from the 2 hour default to 30
> minutes would help a lot.
>
> Regards, and let us know if you're still running into problems.
>
> On Wednesday, May 6, 2015 at 12:21:21 AM UTC-4, PK wrote:
> For the first time ever today I get this message, in the console.
>
> The API channel.create_channel fails with an exception as a consequence.
>
> Has anybody experienced it? Is signing up for a support program the only way
> to have it increased?
>
> Thanks,
> PK
> p...@gae123.com <mailto:p...@gae123.com>