It depends entirely on the operating system "image" you choose to run on
your compute engine instance. There are many, as listed at
https://cloud.google.com/compute/docs/operating-systems/ , and you don't
tell us which one you chose, thus making it impossible for us to help you.

In general, to install/update OS components, you SSH into your instance,
then run a command depending entirely on the operating system you're
running -- *exactly* like you would do if the OS was running on a physical
machine. For example, if the OS you chose is debian, the command would be
apt-get -- see e.g http://linux.die.net/man/8/apt-get -- no matter whether
you're running debian on GCE, on your workstation, or whatever.

Alex

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/CAE46Be-6c%3DxLTqEtkSzwU2YJNdHvtRxpiCL1qLtzigZPSWBN3w%40mail.gmail.com.