*Background:*

I am using google app engine and am having a weird bug in my site crawler.

I have a backend that will automatically crawl a site every night. This is
instigated by a task pushed to a pushQueue due to time limits in php.

*Problem:*

When I manually run the script that creates the task, the task completes as
expected with no errors. However when cron launches the task I get the
following error.

Call to URLFetch failed with application error 5 for url x

Code:

function url_get_contents ($Url) {
    global $retry;
    try {
        if (!function_exists('curl_init')){
            die('CURL is not installed!');
        }
        $ch = curl_init();
        curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_URL, $Url);
        curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER, true);
        $output = curl_exec($ch);
        curl_close($ch);
        return $output;
    } catch (Exception $e) {
        syslog(LOG_INFO, 'Caught exception: ',  $e->getMessage());
        if($retry > 0){
            $retry -= 1;
            return url_get_contents($Url);
        }
        else{
            return null;
        }
    }}

Thanks to syslog I can see that the $url is fine which is driving me crazy
as it works when the exact same script is launched manually not through
cron.

How can I fix this?

Thanks in advance.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/677e26b9-79b0-4de6-adff-585fb679fa9f%40googlegroups.com.