Thanks for clarifying, and, I agree, it would be great to clarify the doc
page (I'll be working with the docs team on how exactly to do that -- it's
far from obvious, since said page is already big and inevitably
complicated).

Meanwhile, could you please accept my answer to your Q on serverfault? This
way the issue will show up as "answered" and be findable that way by others
who may understandably run into the same issue of unclear communication
that you did.

Thanks,

Alex

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/CAE46Be8WWkTdy9X59WHJEk0_fqnzKtZVLTDgNuvA9n75pPMDwQ%40mail.gmail.com.