I’ll just jump in here with my request if you don’t mind. I use the log viewer
both for monitoring production instances and for testing (on projects that I
have just for that purpose). Most of my testing happens using the SDK of
course, but there are those things that can only be tested in the real GAE
environment.

While testing I really want something that mimics tail -f, but the current log
viewer is pretty bad for that. The ‘play’ button seems to be for that, but it
is very flaky in my experience (stops tailing sometimes, sometimes doesn’t get
the latest updates). The infinite scroll also is not completely reliable - I
often end up have to hit the refresh button to get new log entries even though
the scrolling action says there are no newer entries. There is also some pretty
big latency. The collapsed view is mixed here - especially for deferred tasks.
Because I’m often just using the default deferred handler I have to open every
entry to figure out what the actual event was.

Ultimately it all works with a few work arounds, but it can be somewhat
frustrating.

Karl

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/960FF91C-2B6E-4C0F-A561-5CC1BBF2495F%40rakkoon.com.