For some additional clarification, a cron task is not necessarily a task
queue task.  As Alejandro said, it can merely an HTTP request.  That means
it can be of the following:

1) a request sent to a standard autoscaling instance (F* instances), be
subject to a 60 second deadline; or
2) a request sent to a handler that triggers a task queue on a standard
autoscaling instance, subject to a 10 minute deadline; or
3) a request sent to a basic or manually scaled instance (B* instances),
subject to a 24 hour deadline.

When using cron, be aware that failures will only be retried at the next
specified execution interval, except in the case of an HTTP 503 response
from the target handler.  In that case, the request will retry
indefinitely, as short-term quota exceptions return HTTP 503 and are
typically safe to retry.

Cheers,
Josh

Josh Moore | Cloud Solutions Engineer | joshu...@google.com |