I'm seeing something similar. Our task queues are also filling up with
tasks and our traffic hasn't changed. For us, it looks like this started
about a week ago. Our tasks are not generating more errors than normal.

Our tasks are run by different instances than our front-end website. Our
backend instances are shutting down and restarting a lot more than normal
which seems odd. Whenever I look at "instances" in my dashboard, it looks
like all my instances have been started in the last 10 minutes or so.
Memory usage is well within normal limits and I'm not seeing the instances
generating errors or anything.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/1f87c569-7b1c-45b9-aa42-6b0bb2e47dce%40googlegroups.com.