I do not want to block threads in my application and so I am wondering are
calls to the the Google Datastore async? For example the docs show
something like this to retrieve an entity:

// Key employeeKey = ...;LookupRequest request =
LookupRequest.newBuilder().addKey(employeeKey).build();LookupResponse response
= datastore.lookup(request);if (response.getMissingCount() == 1) {
  throw new RuntimeException("entity not found");}Entity employee =
response.getFound(0).getEntity();

This does not look like an async call to me, so it is possible to make
aysnc calls to the database in Java? I noticed App engine has some
libraries for async calls in its Java API, but I am not using appengine, I
will be calling the datastore from my own instances. As well, if there is
an async library can I test it on my local server (for example app engine's
async library I could not find a way to set it up to use my local server
for example I this library can't get my environment variables).

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/b9fac7d0-2d49-479b-8e8c-ea1f2d35f196%40googlegroups.com.