If you are using automatic scaling
<https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/go/modules/#automatic_scaling_1>
(the default) on App Engine, requests
<https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/go/requests> are limited to a
maximum of 60 seconds. This is because these instances are optimized for
short lived user requests.

If you need a longer timeout you can 1) use a task queue as a. Kong
suggested which can run for up to 10 minutes or 2) switch to manual scaling
<https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/go/modules/#manual_scaling_1>
which can run any kind of request for up to 24 hours. Probably in your case
you want to use a task queue, since you can just kick off the task and
return success to the user immediately without waiting for processing to
finish first.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/7217aece-4317-4b4d-ab9f-5ef980984ba4%40googlegroups.com.