Hi Adam

I figured the problem had to be something like that, however there current
docs don't even mention *download_data* at all, and the error you get from
appcfg if you haven't logged in with gcloud suggests you need to set
GOOGLE_APPLICATION_CREDENTIALS and refer to the docs for setting up an
default application service account.  That section does talk about gcloud
as one of 5 options.  Though reading through this the application service
account seems on the face of the most appropriate choice.

Historically any account with developer status could download the data
using appcfg (in because it only required admin access and in the early
days you even had your own handler), and as you said the owner could only
download the app.

Somewhat misleading ';-)

Cheers

Tim