Hi all,
Wondering how best to implement some basic geolocation stuff using Google
Cloud products (and open source if appropriate)

I need to search user records I'm storing in Datastore, which include the
user's address (in ordinary human readable text format) to see which other
users are within a certain distance from them. Seems I can't do a
geospatial search directly on Datastore records but found something that
suggests a clever little mashup with Google's Search API:
http://ralphbarbagallo.com/2013/05/14/app-engine-geospatial-datastore-search-a-new-way/

Questions:
1.) Is there any better (/more standard) way than what's suggested at that
link? (I know Cloud SQL allows geospatial searches but ideally I want to
use Datastore if possible to store my data in)
2.) Geospatial matches (at least using above techniques) need latitude and
longitude - are there any Google APIs or open source PHP stuff I could use
to convert addresses into lat/lon?

I'm running on PHP AppEngine by the way and need a solution I can implement
very quickly and easily if at all possible!

Many thanks for any info/suggestions!

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/80be5c2f-ae67-4ccc-825a-29b68fb6315a%40googlegroups.com.