Thanks Zeehad...   That is correct!  Our engineering lead for Cloud Trace
responded to PK off thread and I think her response might be helpful or at
least interesting to others.

    The requests are sampled at a rate of 0.1 request per second for each
app engine instance you have.

    If you want to force a request to be traced, add X-Cloud-Trace-Context
header to your request. The trace header specification in rfc7230 syntax
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7230> is as below:

trace-context := “X-Cloud-Trace-Context” “:” trace-id  “/” span-id[ “;” “o”
“=” trace_options ] *( “;” key “=” value)

trace-id := 1*( HEXDIG) ; hex representation of a 128 bit value

span-id := 1*(DIGIT) ; decimal representation of a 64 bit value

trace-option := 1*(DIGIT) ; decimal representation of a 32 bit value

Trace-id is required to be a 32 char hex value representing a 128 bit
number. It should be unique between your requests unless you intentionally
want to bundle them together. You can use UUIDs.
Span-id is better to be set to "0" if this is the root of your trace.
Unless you have mobile clients that send in trace data (which is unlikely
since you just discovered the feature), I'd suggest you use "0"
trace-option: set to 1 if you want to trace this request. 0 if you don't
want to trace the request

 Here is an example to show how to force tracing via curl:

curl "http://<your.apps.url>" --header "X-Cloud-Trace-Context:
<trace-id>/0;o=1"

example trace-id: 105445aa7843bc8bf206b120001000

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/CAHLXp%3DG6wmhy6YotFx0fF1htCkb-1cPxWDbaZYRc9XZZ%3D39bmA%40mail.gmail.com.