Where is it failing?  Is it failing to load the user, or failing to
validate the password?

Is it possible your hash+salt for the password isn't getting set properly
when you set via console?  (Is it deriving the salt from the app ID or
namespace somehow?)

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/25692d97-7e8c-47dc-b1c8-d315ac23451d%40googlegroups.com.