a couple of thoughts...

1. i don't know for sure about datastore connecting to GCE, but the beta
managed VMs project allows you to run a GCE instance with full connection
to the app engine datastore (and other services).  We have used it well in
python for types of processing that we couldn't run on regular app engine
instances.
2. i don't know if there are limit on datastore entity kinds per project.
3. i like your approach 1 as it seems much easier to code and use to me.

just my 3 cents...

cfh

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/5240eee3-4f6a-4fe0-bea6-0c14aa378a77%40googlegroups.com.