Facing the same problem recently thought of a ppossible solution,
The google.appengine.api.images has a method create_rpc.The create_rpc take
deadline as param. Hence, one cloud initiate an RPC with greater deadline
value then the default 5sec and pass that to images.get_serving_url method.

images.get_serving_url(blob_key, secure_url=True,
rpc=create_rpc(deadline=15))

Haven't deployed this yet, hoping this might solve the problem else would
need to revert to loop to try getting url n number of times.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/fcd5b29e-ed64-4709-86ae-b3e55dd9574f%40googlegroups.com.