Hey Ryan,

I'm unsure that this indicates that App Engine specifically is being
rate-limited. It's likely that the 429 response is directly related to the
frequency with which you're making requests, regardless of the origin of
those requests. While not impossible, I suppose, it would be surprising if
they were keeping track of App Engine IP ranges and applying a different
rate-limit, and would require some thorough A/B testing to prove. So, I
recommend just checking their documentation
<https://www.instagram.com/developer/limits/> or, if the rate-limit is
undocumented, benchmarking to attempt to determine it, and try to fly under
it. Generally, exponential-backoff
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exponential_backoff> is a good tactic when
dealing with rate-limiting.

Sincerely,

Nick
Cloud Platform Community Support

On Monday, May 2, 2016 at 11:57:15 AM UTC-4, Nickolas Daskalou wrote:

> Hi Ryan,
>
> It seems to be working fine for us (SocialPage.me <https://socialpage.me/>
> ).
>
> Are you accessing their API using separate access tokens for each user?
>
> Nick
>

> On 2 May 2016 at 14:30, Ryan Barrett <goo...@ryanb.org> wrote:
>
>> hi all! just FYI, it looks like Instagram is blocking/rate limiting App
>> Engine's IPs from fetching www.instagram.com, both urlfetch and sockets,
>> across apps. e.g. this session from https://shell-hrd.appspot.com/ :

>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File
>> "/base/data/home/runtimes/python/python_dist/lib/python2.5/urllib2.py",
>> line 506, in http_error_default
>>     raise HTTPError(req.get_full_url(), code, msg, hdrs, fp)
>> HTTPError: HTTP Error 429: Unknown
>>
>> it's not 100% consistent - i occasionally see requests make it through -
>> but the majority get 429ed.
>>
>> not holding my breath, but i figured you all might want to know,
>> especially in case cloud support people have lines of communication open
>> with instagram/facebook for this kind of thing.
>>
>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/be7f6ead-fe34-45c4-9ee0-00956b5f89de%40googlegroups.com
>>
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/be7f6ead-fe34-45c4-9ee0-00956b5f89de%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>> .

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/8a0fbcd0-8226-4208-992d-df37e3957c00%40googlegroups.com.
  • [google-appengine] I... Ryan Barrett
    • Re: [google-app... Nickolas Daskalou
      • Re: [google... 'Nick (Cloud Platform Support)' via Google App Engine
        • Re: [go... Ryan Barrett
          • Re:... 'Nick (Cloud Platform Support)' via Google App Engine
            • ... Ryan B
              • ... 'Nick (Cloud Platform Support)' via Google App Engine
                • ... Ryan B
                • ... 'Nick (Cloud Platform Support)' via Google App Engine
                • ... Ryan Barrett